Monday, May 9, 2011

The whole truth

Mondays in the blogging world, at least the Mom blogging world, mean one thing weight loss posts. Honestly, it's an awesome way to look for ideas and find support while weeding through the reality that we are no longer teenagers that can eat whatever we please without gaining a pound.
Lately, I have been tuning out of Monday's post because I am pregnant and dieting while pregnant is not really allowed or a good idea. But, today I am going to be honest. I am so discouraged with the weight gain this time around. I look in the mirror and want to scream and cry. Swollen face and hands, legs mascaraing as tree trunks and let's not even discuss the behind that is growing. It.is.not.me.at.all.
I have tried to do it right and lay off the nasty fatty food and be aware of what I am putting in my mouth but y'all it has flat out not worked. I gained a whopping 10lbs in 7 weeks, yep that right 20 lbs prior to me walking into my 3rd trimester (yay Wednesday!). The nurse gave me the side eye and mentioned it more than once. Yes, I did hear  you clearly the first time now kindly shut up before I preggo rage your skinny butt to the wall.
I walked out of the office committed to being very careful, very, for the remainder of the pregnancy. Can we just say that is backfired in a big way as I have hit the ravishing hunger stage of pregnancy. The "there is not enough food in the world to help" this hunger. And me watching food went out the window and front door because when I am that hungry I am a mean pregnant lady. And honestly that is not saying much because I am historically an angry preggo. It's just the way it is. My pissed off demeanor is just a fact of life for most of the 10 months. Throw the hunger card into it and watch out world. I am not happy at all.
So basically this a plea for help. Momma's what did you do to keep the weight in check and not walk around hungry? Do you have trick for handling it all or what did you not do that given a chance for a redo you change?
And go ahead and plan that come August, I will vomiting all over the interwebs my quest to actually look better in my 30's than in my 20's.

4 comments:

Megan said...

It's hard. I ate fairly well with my first pregnancy and gained 49lbs! This time I was just so sick - that isn't a trick though. Now that I finally feel better I have been sticking to lots of smoothies, salads, and adding protein in where ever I can. I eat about 6 or so little meals throughout the day and that seems to help. Just don't buy the bad stuff and keep healthy things on hand for those hunger surges. ALL easier said than done. :) Hang in there!

Shanni ♥ said...

We're about the same length in our pregnancy's! Not sure how I came across your blog, but I'm not a follower! I'm 29 weeks pregnant now. And I'm up 20 lbs now. I gained almost 50 with my son, I'm trying not to do that again! Luckily, I lost it all quickly with breastfeeding and everything but I'm scared of getting stretch marks this time around so I'm trying to be healthier and not have such a crazy weight gain!
Well I'm off to read some of your older post and get all caught up now!! =)
Excited to be a part of this pregnancy of yours & keep up with everything with you!

Hana said...

Don't worry about it. I was on a rocketship to gaining 100 pounds around that stage of Drew's pregnancy. Granted, it was the Holidays and birthdays and lots of stress of buying/selling a house and moving. (Not to mention the savoring of this probably being my last pregancy, aka "last chance for stuffing my face just because I can.") Thank God I evened out at the end and only gained about 60 total pounds, but there for a while it looked like I would be transforming into a cow for delivery day.

I got the squint-eye from my doc several times. But guess what! There will come a day when you will lose 20 LBS IN ONE DAY! Or more, even! You forget how fast it comes off post-baby. (And I will tell you: wrangling a toddler while pregnant and with a newborn keeps you a lot more fit than you'd think! I've lost about 55 of the 60 I gained, and I haven't been doing too much other than chasing/lifting babies all day and not having the time to eat.)

So, moral of the story, eat what you want because you can and worry about it later. Nobody likes a skinny pregnant girl.

Diana Stone said...

You know what? Everyone was like "20-25 lbs is a nice gain". I gained 32 and spent my whole last 2 months feeling like crap.

And it wasn't worth it. I wish so much I had just said, "I'm pregnant. I'll eat when I'm hungry, as healthy as I can, but I'm pregnant dammit."

I remember the blimp feeling. But you are creating a child. Everything is out of whack. Your hormones are all over the place. So cut yourself some slack when you have hunger attacks.

((hugs))