Monday, October 17, 2011

Life as we know it.

I have spent the last 11 and 1/2 weeks figuring out what our new normal is.
It's funny with the first baby the whole world stops while you run in circles like a chicken with its head cut off trying to figure this whole parent thing out. I will never forget the panic that in sued the first night EJ woke up at 3am screaming and yes that was at 3 days old. He kindly waited until after we left the hospital to start the night wake-ups. Craig and I both jumped up and nearly ran smack into each other. EJ was a screamer so within seconds my mom was knocking at the door asking if we needed help. It's comical to think about it now.
Everything was a mess then, some had nothing to do with the new baby just life stuff and other messes were all baby related. It took awhile to get our groove, our confidence and it took me a while to fall in love with this awesome gift of motherhood.
This time, well, he just fit right in. It was like we had been waiting on him. Everything has been easier and better. Sometimes the mom guilt sets in as I realize that I am enjoying Jack's early days in way that I did not with EJ. But, I think that is normal. Everyone should have their second baby first, its so much better the second time around.
I love having both my boys and its funny how not stressed I am when they both melt down or things just aren't going my way. I just keep plugging away. If Jack has to cry for a minute while I deal with EJ or vice versa it is ok. And quite frankly it's life. Sometimes we have to wait a minute whether we want to or not.
Jack is an incredible baby, he sleeps, eats and smiles. He loves to cuddle in the morning as he eats and quite frankly I enjoy it most mornings even if its still dark outside.
EJ is at such a fun and hard stage. It's so fun getting to see his personality and getting to talk to him but he is one strong willed little boy. He wants things his way and will often choose punishment over stopping. It is a daily process in patience on my part and trying to figure out what is going through his head. I just repeat to myself my grandmother's wise words "children are born heathens and its our job to teach them how to be responsible little people". As his Momma it is my job to help mold him into the man he is meant to be and that is a great honor and big job but one I am happy to have.
Kids change you completely. Today, I think twice about everything from my behavior to the food I put in my mouth. I have 4 little eyes watching my every move and I better teach them well. Because really they learn a lot by our actions not our just words.

2 comments:

Sarah Turner said...

Very wise words!

@JessEsco said...

You are too right. And I love your grandma's quote.